Welcome to Our Journey!

Please join us in our experiences with the Paleo diet and all it has to offer. We're not experts, but we'd love for you to learn with us as we move toward our goal of healthier living.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

It's been a tough week, Tater.

It's been a tough week.  We have been doing a lot of "not at home stuff", including bringing the boys to a Fresh Beat Band concert and Cody's Blue and Gold banquet for Cub Scouts (we are so proud of you, Cody!).  So, needless to say, the menu options weren't always that great, and we sometimes had to opt for less-than-paleo options.

But I will highlight a couple things that were great and out of the ordinary, trying to stick with the diet as much as possible.

First, when looking for an acceptable dinner for the boys, I found Bison and Beef hotdogs.  These were in the meat section, and not with the usual hot dogs.  These were significantly larger than hot dogs (think sausage-size), and, looking at the ingredients, were not made of a bunch of crap.  Plus, it was cool to introduce Logan to a new type of meat, albeit one that doesn't really taste any different, in my opinion.  I had mine bunless, of course, and they tasted great.  They were really high quality...not the stuff you get from Oscar Meyer (no offense to them...).

Cody, however, didn't want to go for the hot dogs, so I convinced him to, at least, go for sausages.  I picked him up some italian-style chicken sausages, and he loved it.  Once Logan finished his hot dog, he ate one of the sausages, as well, and really liked it.  Again, this was a more wholesome type of sausage, not the generic stuff in the hot dog section.

To go with it, we all had some cucumber slices.  Logan and I had ours plain, while Cody had his with some dill sprinkled over it and bathing in vinegar, just the way he likes it.

Yesterday was a less than paleo day for me, having gone to Fuddruckers after the concert for a treat.  I went with a 1/2lb elk burger with sautéed mushrooms and bacon.  Yes...ELK.  They also have buffalo burgers.  This was a smaller one, as far as Fuddruckers goes, and other restaurants offer wild boar burgers, as well.  I've had boar before...not really a fan.  Then again, not a huge fan of pork, either.

I can really tell the difference between when I am eating paleo and when I am not.  Anytime I start eating heavier foods, like that greasy burger yesterday, or even just heavier paleo foods, I feel sluggish and like crap.  I feel really good when I am eating well.  It's just a matter of finding the foods that are healthy, tasty, and are good to fill your stomach up.  If your stomach is filled, you don't feel like you are dieting.  My biggest issue is finding paleo options when I am not at home, or have no access to a grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment