Welcome to Our Journey!

Please join us in our experiences with the Paleo diet and all it has to offer. We're not experts, but we'd love for you to learn with us as we move toward our goal of healthier living.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Paleo Hungarian Beef Goulash

I was super excited about this one. After reading the recipe I decided that it would be real food.

Ingredients
1 lb. stewing beef, cut into cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 T. paprika
3 tsp. caraway seeds
2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes (juice only)
3 c. beef stock

1. Brown the beef cubes in a skillet. Put the beef aside, and brown and saute the garlic on medium heat.

2. Transfer beef and garlic to Crock Pot and add spices, tomato juice and stock. Put lid on Crock Pot, and cook on Low for 2 hours.

I served this with asparagus, boiled for 1 minute than sauteed briefly with oil, salt and pepper.

THE FINISHED PRODUCT:


Erin: The asparagus was my favorite part. I'd been SO excited for the Goulash, and it was basically little beef cubes. They were overcooked (the recipe I was adapting this from said to cook it for 2-1/2 hours. I have for this reason shortened mine to 2 hours only). And the caraway was the most powerful flavor in the dish - not the paprika. Honestly, I'd leave it out next time IF I made this again (and I won't). Hopefully tonight's dinner is better, but after the past 2 nights I'm feeling a little discouraged.

Chad: I am a big fan of paprika, so I was pretty excited when Erin said she was cooking something Hungarian. I really liked the taste of the beef, though I think it would go better over rice or something like it (verboten, I know, but it would get more of the sauce into my belleh!). The asparagus was crisp and peppery, just the way I like it. I plopped some carrot sticks onto my plate, as I knew it wouldn't be enough, just the beef and asparagus. Good compliment, and I was full by the end of the meal. I really like this diet: I don't feel like I'm starving myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment