Welcome to Our Journey!

Please join us in our experiences with the Paleo diet and all it has to offer. We're not experts, but we'd love for you to learn with us as we move toward our goal of healthier living.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cooking With Chad: Roast Beef and Mushrooms

'lo all!

Figured since my diet hasn't been exactly on the mark over the past week with all the craziness, I went simple tonight.  I just made some sautéed mushrooms and fried up some roast beef in a pan with some spices.

Sautéed Mushrooms

1 Tbsp Butter (I used organic, non-hormonal)
1 8oz package mushrooms, sliced (I used the standard white mushrooms this time, though Portobello are just as good!)
Spices as you like
1/4 cup water

Very easy...just melt the butter, and sauté the mushrooms in a medium pan at medium heat until browned, 2-3 minutes or so.  Be sure to stir or toss frequently, so they get evenly cooked.  I prefer to toss, as it coats better.  This would also be a good time to add any spices you would like.    When they start to look good, drop in your water, and let it simmer, until it reaches your desired tenderness.  I was wary doing this, as I had never tried this technique before, but I thought it made a noticeable difference from the last time I sautéed mushrooms, regarding texture uniformity and tenderness.

**A note on tossing: if you are bad at it...just stir.  Don't try to be Iron Chef America to impress your friends.  Be especially careful if you have liquids in the pan...they can easily spill.  If you are using oil or some other kind of flammable fat (yes...that includes butter), just don't if you aren't practiced.  No need for fires.  No matter what I am cooking, I usually both make sure no one is near the stove, and I turn away from the burner to toss, so, worst case, a little goes on the floor, versus dropping something onto the flame and it flaring up.**

Fried Roast Beef

Coconut oil spray
1/2 lb Italian Roast Beef, Thinly Sliced (I just got the local Shaw's brand)
Mélange (mix) of the following spices:
  • Oregano
  • Basil
  • Marjoram
  • Garlic Powdah
  • Thyme
  • Crushed Red Pepper
Yeah...that's right.  I said mélange.  Get yer highfalutin' cultured words here, kiddos.  Mix the spices together in a small bowl.  Put your mushrooms on a plate, and give your pan a quick rinse.  Spray your pan with coconut oil.  Shred or roughly chop up your roast beef into smaller bits, and toss into the pan over medium heat.  Let it get a-sizzlin, then give it some spice.  Don't over do it, and make sure the love is spread around.  You don't want to overpower the natural goodness that is roast beef.  If you got good beef, it should be red, at the very least, in the middle.  You don't need to cook it all that long, but I let it go until the red was almost gone...about 5 minutes.  If you overcook it, it can dry out, so that is how I can tell when it is done.

Drop the roast beef right beside those mushrooms and have at them.  I will say that it was a tasty and filling meal.

On another note, I picked up some awesome tea today.  It is loose leaf, which allows for some great tea blends.  This particular one I got was a Crème de Earl Grey.  Earl Grey is one of my favorite teas.  Nice and mellow and a great tea to wake up to.  The blend adds a creaminess to it, with hints of vanilla, which go really well with it.  If it wasn't caffeinated, I would have another cup right now...but I would never sleep tonight if I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment